Monday, May 4, 2015

Do you feel difference studying in primary and secondary school? (memories from school years)

From the period of studing in the pedagogical institute and made the first steps in teaching, I realized that teachers who taught me influenced me a lot. When teaching students you try to “find yourself”, your own style, and then you try to use different techniques. Additionally, you rely on your experience in the past especially, “imitate” the style of teaching, and use techniques that you saw in the lessons of my teachers. Unfortunately, I cannot remember bright examples from my primary school teacher. But my secondary school teachers of biology, physics, math, history were so creative and strong in their subjects.  The methods that they used on the lessons always made us be involved in the process; we actively participated in any activities, and we were highly motivated. I felt a big difference between studying at primary and secondary school. Only now after analyzing why it happened, I understand that differentiation and individual approach are significant parts of teaching.  On these lessons we were divided in different groups. Each time teachers used various methods, and we worked into different groups, all students were divided according to the level, however, sometimes groups were organized in such ways when strong student can help to weaker one. Our teachers knew us very well. When they divided us into groups (for example according to our interest), they have already known beforehand about our preferences, so it was not difficult for them to organize a group work.  A big issue is that teachers have preferences for children who are active, who prepare homework, whereas shy and unconfident students are marginalized. However, they just need more time and attention to achieve the same result as others. Unfortunately, these children lose motivation to the study. Differentiation is the term that teachers nowadays use more frequently than in the past.  The teachers, who use this approach, give an opportunity to students to study well despite the differences in learning styles and motivation. I studied at mainstream school and students in my class had different levels. I remember one boy, he was shy and always was afraid to answer in front of the whole class, and even he was prepared to the lesson. Our primary school teacher did not want to spend time, she did not give him a chance to overcome his fear.  When we had a new art teacher, the situation completely changed. This boy was talented and his drawing was magnificent. So, our art teacher always showed us his paintings and we were really inspired by his works. Because of our teacher`s individual approach this boy started to feel himself more confident, study better. Taking this in to account, I always try to utilize a differentiation and an individual approach to students in the classroom. 

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely agree with you. It is very important that secondary school teachers are attentive to students, because of the students' age when they are so troublesome. Teenagers have an erratic behavior because they are dubious about the unconditional love of the adults. During my study at secondary school, I was very lucky to be taught by many amazing teachers. Particularly, I was much inspired by my teacher of English, Mr.Kilich. Now when I look back, I see that not only he taught me English, but also he taught me how to be a teacher. Positive and caring, he was always there for us. Mr. Kilich once told me that whatever happens, I could rely on him. He had huge influence on me and many other students. It is interesting that I do not remember any of his lessons, the only thing I remember is his attitude and how he treated us.

    ReplyDelete