Sunday, May 3, 2015

My reincarnation: from finance to inclusive education.

My reincarnation: from finance to inclusive education.


This post is about my decision to be here, at GSE. And the root of it lies in social attitudes towards working or not working mothers. I haven't met any mother who were satisfied with her position, whether she works or stays at home. The working mom wishes she had more free time to be available to her child, and maybe have coffee after drop-off. And the nonworking woman would maybe like to have something that's a reflection of her as an individual -a label that says she's a capable, creative person who knows about more than just baby formula or after-school programs.


 Couple of years ago, at my friend's birthday I met a newly married and pregnant Karina (it is a pseudo name). After a brief conversation, when she found out that I am working, she started convincing me that I am so wrong. This situation confused me, but later I started to note that almost for every sitting at home mother it was unfathomable that I am a working mother with two children.
All these judgements made me think why am I working. I highlighted several reasons: a) Perception from childhood: I used to be an excellent student at school and at university, aiming to find prestigious work. b) Money interest: In order to attend at least some earlychildhood developmental centers money were needed. c) Boring daily routine: I am very social person, and whenever I sit at home for more than one week, my mood is changing downturn. d) Fear for my children: My dad never let my mom to work, although she had a bachelor degree in finance in one of the best universities of Moscow. He was the main breadwinner and mom was raising us. When he died all of a sudden, my brother was only 14 years old, and my mom struggled to pay for his college and education. When she started to search for a job, it was found that she has no sufficient job experience and failed to find well-paid job. This situation was a model for me, that every woman should be working to be able to take care of her children.

No matter of all these justifications, I quit the job after a while. I got depressed. But, then I decided that it is possible to combine raising children with work. The decision was made to complete training courses on special education teacher in order work on a part-time basis and to help my special need girl. After searching for suitable programs I found an announcement about Inclusive Education Program at Nazarbayev University. I was on the 7th heaven because this program covers my personal interest with ambitious plans. And now I am here, graduating and thinking about continuing to study at PhD program.

The moral of my narrative is that, nothing in this world is occasionally. I finally found myself and feel absolutely satisfied with my life preferences. Listen to your heart, because it will never lie to you!

1 comment:

  1. Very inspiring story))) I am also inclined to believe that working for a mother is not only the question of money but the question of self-development. Hence, it is during our working time we socialize, meet new people, develop our interests. Whereas when you sit at home (even if you work there), you start to stagnate. I worked once as a translator of different documents sitting at home. One month of such a routine was enough to make me feel depressed and even money didn't help. Therefore, I think that working at the office or with other people make life more interesting and buzzy, because you can talk to a collegue, learn about the new film at the cinema)) Likewise I met my best friend at the workplace =)

    ReplyDelete