Friday, May 1, 2015

What I knew while talking to deaf-mute students...

I have seen Aisara’s blog on deaf people and want to share my experience in collecting data. I went to the research site and could not gain the access, because the director of that college was extremely busy. The next day I met some young people communicating in sign language in the shopping mall. I decided to talk to them. I knew that they had hearing impairment, but I did not have any knowledge or experience in talking to such people. Anyway I came up to them and texted on my mobile “ My name is Zhuldyz, let’s have a conversation (in Russian)?” They looked at each other strangely, and then at me and nodded. I joined them, they were all now staring at me. I told them who I was and what I was doing, which somehow softened the situation and helped to get responses from them. Then I realized that they were all the students of that college where I was going for several days. First I had a lot of fun talking to them, I wrote everything on the paper and they answered. It was ok in the beginning, but when they had to answer more complex questions, my troubles began. The problem was in their language acquisition; they were supposed to know any other language besides the sign language. Most of them told they had a sufficient level of Russian, but no one spoke Kazakh. The level of Russian was really low, they write only separate words without any grammatical structure or cohesion, which really made the process of an interview complicated and too long. After I realized that not only the language was suffering but the general education of these young adults as well…

For some time during the interview, I felt like it was me, who is having an impairment- as if I was deaf or blind, because I could see them talking and couldn’t understand what I see. And I thought we have the opportunity to learn this sign language and talk to them, but they… They could have better education and better life…

3 comments:

  1. Dear Zhuldyz,
    I am impressed with your dedication and passion to your topic. I think your data collection was the hardest among all our graduates. And no matter of all those challenges you have collected, I am sure, excellent materials.

    I like your idea about learning sign language. Especially, teachers should be taught sign language in order to be ready to meet diverse needs in inclusive class. I don't know if it is hard to learn sign language or not, but, I am sure, we can learn at least basic phrases at school, in order to make deaf people feel less marginalized.

    Please promote this idea, and justify your statement with your thesis findings and analysis!
    I love your topic and wish you all the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aizhan, thank you for your encouragement. I was told by those students that sign language is usually taught for free. So that means if there are any people willing to learn its up to them...

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete