Thursday, April 30, 2015

Chased by dogs or my first international conference experience abroad


In this blog I want to share with you my first experience in taking part in the international conference abroad. During this journey we were chased by dogs, get lost, exposed to rain in night Istanbul and spent approximately 14 hours in Istanbul airport. Also we met interesting people, saw night Antalya and of course presented our works during the conference.
It is actually the second international conference in my life, but the first I attended while studying for my Bachelor in my home town - Aktobe. It was organized by my university, lasted two days and hosted a lot of participants from neighbour countries, mostly Russia. After opening ceremony we were divided by our themes to several sections and mine was history and economy. The topic of my presentation was History of American dollar. I was telling about masonic theory of its origins, how dollar was designed, what inscriptions mean and why they were chosen. It was interesting for me to investigate this subject and listeners also liked my presentation. That event was a combination of conference and competition, that is why there were judges and at the end of the conference I got the second place.
And my recent conference experience was in Turkey a week ago. I went to that country for the first time and was nervous about it as well as about presenting my work in front of all these strangers from different countries. When we arrived to Goynuk (tourist village near Antalya) to our hotel, we were so excited even though it was cold (in sunny Turkey!!!) outside. 
We had two days to prepare to the presentations and on the first day we decided to go to the nearest shopping center and get lost (again). The second day we attended some sessions to see its overall organization and style.Seven sessions by five or six individual presentations in each both on Turkish and English languages. Sessions were organized based on topics: ICT in education, medicine, biology, pedagogy, higher education and secondary education. Our expectations from this conference were high; however they were not quite met. The atmosphere was relaxed, nobody was nervous and we decided not to worry about our performance and just enjoy the company of interesting people. After comparing our presentations with others’ we concluded that our training is much better. And now I am thinking, what is more important to possess good presentation skills or to have an interesting topic, especially if you cannot combine them.

4 comments:

  1. Dear Guldana, thank you for sharing our wonderful adventures, especially the ones about the dogs and rain! You forgot to mention the maniac Turkish guy chasing us on his car. That would also be interesting to people here=) I really enjoyed reading this piece, it reminded me of our time there. What I didn't know about you is your interest in masonic themes and conspiracy theory. We should meet and discuss that (of course secretly, so that nobody could see us). Thanks once again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Guldana,
    Thank you for sharing your conference experience. I'm pretty sure that GSE presenters were among the best, and we are really proud of all of you :) In terms of presentation skills possession versus interesting topic, I think that the most important is the presenter's personal attitude towards his/her research. If a presenter is truly enthusiastic about the research, he/she will be able to engage the audience and introduce any boring topic in the new and creative way. What about presentation skills, I think it is all about practice and experience of public speaking and can be easily improved through several trainings and rehearsals.
    .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Guldana, thank you for sharing your experience!
    I am so proud of you guys, you all did a wonderful job and presented on the highest level (thanks to our faculty!)
    I didn't know about your adventures in Turkey, I am sure it was unforgettable experience in your lives.

    Actually, I was so surprised to know that our level at this conference was so high. Of course, best student went to Turkey, but anyway. From all of your words it was clear for me that you all impressed not only participants, but also professors from all over the world! I am thankful to all of you, to you, to Shynar, to Aliya S, to Aliya M, to Bagdagul and to Dariga for doing your best and proving that GSE faculty and students are the best!

    Your participation at various conferences not only a benefit in your academic career, but also it deepens your outlook and understanding of life. Meeting different people, traveling and sharing your knowledge is wonderful. Keep going and represent our country further on the best conferences in the world!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Guldana for sharing with us you experience.

    Actually your journey was more exciting than ours. I really enjoyed you presentation on that conference. I think all of us got a great experience participating in this conference. Observing presentations by other speakers I came to conclusion that we had more serious preparation. All of us have really good presentations skills. Thanks for our teachers for training us.

    ReplyDelete