Monday, April 27, 2015


Impressive Experience in Haileybury Astana


Nowadays, giving the child to international schools becomes prestige day by day. It gives opportunity for parents to invest valued education in their children within international level and environment. While my working experience in Haileybury Astana, I revealed the factors which parents tend to give their children to that school is that there is significant difference between British and Kazakhstani educational system.
After graduating teaching profession at the University, almost all graduates went separate ways, choosing completely different directions. I was one of the graduates who found a job in English speaking library as an administrator (Books&Coffee). Even though, one occasion opens door to the next, I was recommended to work as a teaching assistant in Haileybury Astana.  
 Here starts everything new; new teaching method, new individual approach, new curricula and new environment. I thought that is something I was looking for, seeking it in mainstream schools. Even if I did not teach periodically and I did not write the plan for lesson, there was enormous responsibility to manage. Great support for teachers was organized through providing professional trainings and teachers shared their ideas in order to exchange experience. I could easily see elements of collaborative culture which is defined as “administratively supported”, “teachers establish the tasks and purposes for working together” and “advanced strategy for fostering teacher development” (Hargreaves, 1994, p. 186-192). At the very beginning of my job, I was observing several classes just to get idea of being part of the school. It was mentoring from head of department side to guide me in my first period of time to adjust the school environment and also to work as a teacher. Every lesson was unique with its interest and productivity. My responsible included to assisting children via explaining the task in Russian if it’s needed, controlling their safety, interpreting parents meeting, and supporting children during the lesson, supervising them at sport games, preparing resources for the lesson etc.  
Most of the time, children were divided into three groups according to their learning ability and English language level. I was responsible to lead one of the groups and help them with the given task. Sometimes I was asked to lead the lesson especially to teach phonics to help with learning the sounds.    
In this school I had desire to teach because school was surrounded by support and resources to teach. I was learning a lot and gaining a lot in terms of valuable teaching. Class teacher paid attention to children`s reading and I was supposed to read with children every day and make sure they get new reading book. I think this is very important to pay attention to their readings and books were sorted by the level and words were selected with relevant level. At the same time I was always thinking and applying to Kazakhstani schools by making the comparison in my mind “I wish mainstream schools could have the same curriculum, same lucky learning chance, resources and etc…”. For instance, as I know there is lack of reading books in Kazakh with appropriate level, hoping that someday children will have chance to enhance their reading.
To conclude, this is just beginning of my teaching profession career. When I looked back of my life I saw big difference between schools that supported me and helped me to find my path. What was the thing in my deep soul that I was looking for, looking for myself? How does condition of teachers matter for developing motivation inner side of teacher?

P.S. If you are interested as a parent, ask Malika Abitayeva to share her impression giving her child to Haileybury Astana. She will be happy to tell you more…




Reference

Hargreaves, A. (1994). Changing teachers, changing times: Teachers` work and culture in the postmodern age. Teachers College Press, 186-192

5 comments:

  1. Dear Zhuldyz,

    thanks for your post, in which you discovered another very important incentive for young teachers to pursue teaching carrier, that is support at all levels. Along with the financial aspect of the teaching profession and increasing of status of teachers I believe that this support should be practiced in every mainstream school. I think all will receive benefits, as young teachers receiving experience tested by years, as experienced teachers receiving fresh and modern views and trends.
    From parents' point of view I would be very happy to send my kid to that school where teachers are highly motivated and are happy to work with children, even they are not so much experienced, but have the desire to learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First of all, we should understand that this school is not free of charge. Parents pay a lot of money for a quality and service. Certainly, the school administration and teaching staff care about their students and try to provide them with books which are suitable for their ages and level of proficiency in English. Second of all, the language of instruction in the school is English that’s why they do not have any problem with teaching materials. They can buy easily the textbooks from publishing companies such as Oxford, Kaplan which produce textbooks for foreign students to learn English. In comparison with Kazakhstani public schools they have finances and great teaching resources as well as for English acquisition. With the help of money they can allow to hire the best local teachers and foreigners. Therefore, the quality of education is very high, but this school does not prepare students to study in Kazakhstan. I am doubt that students of this school can apply for local universities. That’s the problem of this school. It is not enough to know onlyEnglish in Kazakhstan.

      Delete
  2. haha, give-away Zhuldyz. Well, tastes differ and not everyone likes this school. I am very grateful to be given an opportunity to send my child to this school. Most of the people think that the mein advantage of this school is the English curriculum. Not exactly. The main advantage is that this school prepares children to the social life. Children study with different nationalities; they see representatives of different religions; they understand that the Earth is round and they are not the only people who live on it. They ar engaged in different charity actvities and not all of them are connected to money gathering. With all due respect, I cannot say that mainstream schools do the same. I have seen many times the local schoolchildren calling the foreign people with offensive names without realizing that it is wrong. I urge the people who do not like such schools like HAS, to look at it from the different angle. Not everything in that school is connected with money.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Zhuldyz, this is a nice blog in which you express your positive thoughts towards your teaching experience in Haileybury Astana. You were lucky to be employed in one of the private schools of Astana where you could see collaborative and supportive environment. But it is worthwhile to go to work in one of the mainstream schools just to compare the systems of totally different educational settings and understand how these systems operate inside. Just keep in mind that being a teacher assistant is different from being a teacher and has less responsibility. I think you will feel much challenged when you start to work as a teacher. However, having some experience of working in English speaking school and holding a master's degree in School Leadership you can be a good teacher and can contribute to the development of mainstream schools.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Zhuldyz,

    Thank you for your blog.
    School environment plays an important role in teacher identity. The way how new teacher will be introduced to the new school society can define the decision of teacher weather to stay or leave profession. Principle, should introduce new teacher and then allow to vice principal to familiarize new teacher with school development plan, mission and goals. After that the curriculum, subject programs are introduced to the teacher by head of the department.

    ReplyDelete