Thursday, April 23, 2015

Moveable coffiti-feast

Image source: http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4101/4936304143_29539a94c3_z.jpg

When the lessons were over, and I needed to do my assignments, every time I would go to the library so as to enjoy the silence, determined to be extremely productive. However, this has never panned out so far. Paradoxically, but people silently typing something on their laptops just get on my nerves, making it unbearable to concentrate and work in such a dull atmosphere. On the contrary, the atmosphere in the atrium was too loud for my ideas. Thus, I went to a nearest coffee bar with my laptop and soon started to notice that even when I wasn’t drinking coffee (my bad, sometimes I just sit in a coffee bar sipping a glass of water) I was more productive and concentrated than sitting in a dorm or library. Isn’t it strange, I wondered? Actually, no, if you take a glance at research conducted by Mehta, Zhu and Cheema (2012).
The research they have done revealed that there is a significant positive correlation between medium ambient noises and the creativity; particularly, the researchers aimed at exploring whether the omnipresent noises around us can boost our brain activity somehow. From now on, here arises the question: “How we can define the ambient noises?” And the authors provide nice explanation, saying that ambient noises are those unwanted sounds we hear around ourselves in everyday life (Mehta, Zhu, & Cheema, 2012, p. 785). They can be anything – from unpleasant road construction noises to more appealing whoosh of a coffee machine in an office. So how these noises can affect our creativity cognition and boost our productivity instead of distracting? 
            The researchers conducted five experiments, revealing that the high level of noise affects negatively the information processing along with “reducing processing motivation”, thus, impairing the generation of creative ideas (Mehta, Zhu, & Cheema, 2012, p. 787). Accordingly, it was found that in a moderate level of noise people are more likely to generate creative ideas, comparing with a low or a high level of noise, which was quite surprising for me personally, since it is considered that working in a relative silence is the guarantee of a successful task accomplishment and higher concentration.
By and large, it was concluded that ambient noises do affect creativity, as long as they are of moderate volume, first arousing the abstract cognition, which in turn improves the creative output. So it can be implied from this research that sometimes in order to restart your cognitive processing and find interesting ideas, it is better to go somewhere where it is lively and buzzy (like in a coffee bar or a park) rather than burying oneself in a library or at home.
After being inspired by such a finding, I decided to surround myself with pleasant ambient noises so as to be more productive. Soon after that idea I bumped into a great application on my phone, named Coffetivity, which replicates the noises of a coffee bar and does it greatly. As Justin Kauszler, one of the founders of the application, reminisces, once upon a time he noticed “that when he returned to his regular work space after a coffee shop, in a subdued and sterile office, his productivity took a nose-dive” (O’Connor, 2013, para 12). And that is how Mr. Kauszler decided to take the coffee bar atmosphere with him everywhere by creating such an unusual program, available for the computers and mobile devices.


Image source: the author

So whenever I feel I need to boost my creativity and enhance my production mode, I open this app and put on earphones, thus being transgressed to a cozy coffee bar somewhere in Almaty on Sunday morning… The irony of the situation is that while listening to the imitation of sounds, I can sip the real instant coffee ;)    

References

Mehta, R., Zhu, R. J., & Cheema, A. (2012). Is noise always bad? Exploring the effects of ambient noise on creative cognition.  Journal of Consumer Research, 39(4), 784-799.

O’Connor, A. (2013). How the hum of a coffee shop can boost creativity. New York Times Blog. http://well. blogs. nytimes. com/2013/06/21/how-the-hum-of-a-coffee-shop-can-boost-creativity.

1 comment:

  1. • It was interesting to find out that the sound of a café and pouring coffee might inspire or wax concentration and productivity of study. I am not cynical, but I assume that no any music or melody will create a productive atmosphere. Especially when the deadliness is near at hand. The music will just bother and muddle my ideas. However, classical music and sonatas by Mozart, Chopin and Beethoven might be good for relaxation and concentration. But still I would never be able to study and write papers by Mozart’s play. My best help when I need to really concentrate and do assignments, I search for inner calmness and try to find the point of nirvana!

    ReplyDelete